It’s FREE STUFF FRIDAY and we’re going APE-CRAZY this week celebrating the release of “DAWN of the PLANET OF THE APES“. Now though this new film series explores a new direction in the story of the Planet of the Apes saga, there is no denying that here at Beyond the Marquee, we are huge fans of the original 1968-1973 films that started it all.
Once again our good friend Rich Handley and the team as HASSLEIN Books have been super generous in offering up some of their library of extensive movie-themed reference books to our loyal Beyond the Marquee followers. And what better titles from their amazing catalog for this week’s contest, than Timeline of the Planet of the Apes: The Definitive Chronology and Lexicon of the Planet of the Apes: The Comprehensive Encyclopedia. Timeline examines every recorded event of the Apes saga, in its proper chronological context―from long before Caesar’s birth to far beyond Earth’s destruction. Lexicon is designed for casual and avid fans alike, and this volume will help you learn everything there is to know about the upside-down world of Planet of the Apes.
Click ahead for more details about these amazing books and also for your chance to win a pair of them with our Planet of the Apes trivia challenge! Good Luck!
ABOUT THE BOOKS:
Lexicon of the Planet of the Apes: The Comprehensive Encyclopedia
Author: Rich Handley
Softcover, 422 pages
If you’ve longed to learn more about Planet of the Apes… if you’ve devoured the films and TV series, as well as the comics and novels that continued their story… if you’re tantalized by time travel and titillated by trivia… if you think you know all there is to know about simian society… then Lexicon of the Planet of the Apes is for you. Written by Timeline of the Planet of the Apes author Rich Handley, this softcover volume contains:
– Nearly 3,200 alphabetical entries in more than 50 indexed categories, detailing every character, creature, device, institution, location, weapon, vehicle and more, from every POTA film, episode, cartoon, comic, novel and video game
– More than 25 full-page sketches and a breathtaking cover painting from illustrator Pat Carbajal, produced exclusively for this volume
– More than 800 additional images, including a number of obscure and rarely seen photographs and illustrations
– A motherlode of information regarding unpublished, unfilmed or uncompleted scripts, novels, comics and more, direct from the creators themselves, as well as long-forgotten stage and arena shows and short films from the ’70s
– An insightful, nostalgic and witty foreword written by famed literary critic and blogger John Kenneth Muir, the author of 21 reference books about film and TV
Timeline of the Planet of the Apes: The Definitive Chronology
Author: Rich Handley
Softcover, 322 pages
Planet of the Apes, a classic post-apocalyptic sci-fi drama, has riveted audiences with its stunning performances, brilliant make-up work, resonant soundtrack and powerful statements on humanity, science and religion, as well as the jaw-dropping revelation in its legendary final moments. But the 1968 film was just the beginning of the story. Four sequels, two TV series, two film remakes, and more than a dozen novels and 120 comic books later, POTA remains a vibrant and relevant mythos. Mining this extensive wealth of material, as well as rejected or unpublished tales unavailable to fans, Timeline of the Planet of the Apes explores:
– How a small-scale simian rebellion grew into a planet-wide reversal of fates for humanity and apekind
– How the apes acquired sapience and the power of speech―while man descended into mute savagery
– Where the plague that ravaged the planet Earth originated, and the effects it had not only on man and ape, but on other creatures as well
– The unique simian and human cultures that spawned around the globe in the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust―and how the Statue of Liberty ended up in pieces on a desolate beach
Written by Lexicon of the Planet of the Apes author Rich Handley, Timeline examines these and other questions, presenting every recorded event of the Apes saga, in its proper chronological context―from long before Caesar’s birth to far beyond Earth’s destruction. No other reference book has covered the saga’s expanded universe so completely.
*** Now’s your chance to win a pair of Planet of the Apes Reference Books, by emailing us at email@example.com and answering the following question:
TRUE OR FALSE?
CHARLTON HESTON (TAYLOR) AND LINDA HARRISON (NOVA) ARE THE ONLY ACTORS TO APPEAR IN BOTH THE (1968) FILM AND THE TIM BURTON REMAKE, PLANET OF THE APES (2001).
RULES: The contest begins at 9:00am PST on July 11th 2014 and ends at Noon PST on July 14th 2014. Contest open to all US residents of all ages. Void where prohibited. Odds of winning depend upon the number of participants. Not eligible for employees, family, friends or promotional partners connected or associated with HASSLEIN Books or Beyond the Marquee. No purchase necessary. Only one (1) entry per person. Only one (1) entry per person per valid e-mail address and limit one (1) prize per household for the Contest for any thirty (30) day period. Odds of winning depend upon the number of participants. Participants and winner(s) must be U.S. residents and at least 18-years old. Entries will be randomly selected and the winners will be announced the week of July 14th 2014, on our official Facebook page. Don’t forget to “Like” us! Good Luck!